We’ve made all the handouts and exercises from our best-selling book Secrets of a Successful Organizer available for download. Feel free to print them out and share them with your co-workers or use in your next union meeting. Disponible en español.
Lesson 1: Attitude Adjustment
- How the Boss Keeps Us Disorganized
- What’s the Real Problem
- Aim for the Bullseye
- Exercise: Draw Your Own Bullseye
- Your Legal Rights in the Union
- Your Legal Rights On the Job
Lesson 2: One-on-One Conversations
- How to Be a Good Listener
- An Organizing Conversation
- Exercise: Write Your Own Organizing Conversation
- Exercise: Practice the Organizing Conversation
Lesson 3: Map Your Workplace and Its Leaders
- Help Leaders Learn
- Qualities of a Good Organizer
- Exercise: Map Your Workplace
- Exercise: Map Your Workplace Part 2
- Exercise: Map Your Workplace Part 3
- Exercise: Make a Chart Too
Lesson 4: Choosing an Issue
Lesson 5: An Escalating Campaign
- Powerful Ways to Act
- Turn Up the Heat: Action Thermometer
- Checklist: Choose Tactics That Fit
- Exercise: Arrange These Tactics on a Thermometer
- Make Sure Every Job Gets Done
Lesson 6: Expect the Unexpected
- To React or Not to React
- Answering Tough Questions
- Exercise: Practice Answering Tough Questions
- When You’re Called into the Office
Lesson 7: Always Be Organizing
- Exercise: Sketch Out a Member Network
- What a Leaflet Can Do
- Why Make a Newsletter?
- Portrait of a Well-Organized Workplace
- Exercise: Give Your Workplace a Checkup
Lesson 8: Putting It All Together
- Case Study #1: A Union School
- Exercise: Case Study #1 Discussion Questions
- Case Study #2: An Injury to One Is an Injury to All
- Exercise: Case Study #2 Discussion Questions
- Organizing Essentials
FOLLETOS EN ESPANOL
Haga fotocopias de lo que le guste. Para su conveniencia, tenemos una selección de materiales que están disponibles para descargarse gratuitamente en formato tamaño carta, el cual es fácil de imprimir y compartir.
- Cómo el patrón nos mantiene desorganizados
- Apunte para dar en el blanco
- Saber escuchar
- Cualidades de un buen organizador
- Ejercicio: Haga un mapa de su lugar de trabajo
- Diez preguntas a hacer al dibujar un mapa de su lugar de trabajo
- Ejercicio: Haga también una tabla
- Un buen asunto para organizarse
- Tenga un plan estratégico
- Suba la temperatura: Termómetro de acción
- Escoja tácticas adecuadas para la campaña
- Ejercicio: Coloque estas tácticas en el termómetro
- Responder a preguntas difíciles
- Vacune a sus compañeros contra las tácticas del jefe
- La gente organizada tiene poder
One-on-One Union Organizing TrainingCome learn how to organize your friends and coworkers!
- How do I gauge my coworkers' issues and concerns?
- How do I respond to common pushback against joining the union?
- How do we organize effectively over social media and digital communication?
All this and more answered!
The union is you: you and your coworkers working together and using your power to make your workplace and community better and happier. Will you stand with your coworkers and join UCWVA?
Become a member at ucwva.org/join-us
There's work to be done: reach out to join in by emailing UCWVA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And sign the #ActFastUVA petition at actionnetwork.org/petitions/actfastuva
Originally recorded on 14 September 2020
Union Organizing 101Working families are looking to make a positive change. And many are looking for a voice at work. That's why the IBEW is working to train the next generation of organizers to help working people find their voice.
Getting Started in Union OrganizingIn episode 3 we discuss ways union members can assist in organizing. Why you should start an internal organizing committee. Which organizing books can help you in your career and one to avoid. Are these titles in your organizing library? Listen to find out, then tell your friends!
Why Unions Matter to You | Robert ReichRobert Reich explains why labor unions impact the middle class and raise wages.
Watch More: Why Right to Work is Wrong ►► https://youtu.be/WqjdsfMPl_A
Robert Reich: Why "Right to Work" is Wrong for WorkersFormer Secretary of Labor Robert Reich explains the truth behind so-called "Right to Work" laws and how they hurt working families.
You should start a union at work. Here's why and how.Starting a union at work, why you should do it, and how you should do it. This video will speak on the benefits of forming a union, and explain how and why it democratizes the workplace.
Starting a union might seem like a difficult process, but it involves some simple first steps.
1. Start conversations with fellow employees
2. Contact a union organizer
3. Build a broader coalition at works to help spread the idea
4. Vote to form the union with a secret ballot
While you may face opposition and anti-union attacks, just remember that more people than ever are supportive of unions, especially at this time, and you are protected to talk about unions under the National Labor Relations Act.
CLICK SUBSCRIBE for free weekly uploads.
CLICK THE "LIKE" BUTTON if you like a video, or if you learned something.
This information is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Target Stores Anti-Union PropagandaTarget Stores Anti-Union Propaganda
Walmart's Anti-Union MessageWorkers have a right to form a union and negotiate for better wages and working conditions. But what we're seeing is profitable corporations like Walmart doing everything they can to prevent that. That's unacceptable.
Target Stores Propaganda Anti-union NonsenseWe aren't 12 Target.